Instinct - $769
Due in September
Instinct is a GPS smartwatch built to break convention, conquer the elements and endure longer. It's now taking battery life to a new level by harnessing the power of the sun.
Engineered for Endurance
- Experience unprecedented battery life with solar charging.
- Military standard toughness lets you play rough without worry.
- GPS, GLONASS and Galileo. Your 3 best friends in the wild.
- Train smarter with built-in sports apps right on your wrist.
- Get notifications straight from your phone to your wrist.
- Do more. Charge less. Get up to 54 days in smartwatch mode.
Fibre-reinforced polymer case, chemically strengthened, scratch-resistant Corning® Gorilla® glass and a battery powered by the sun creates a device that's built to endure
Designed to be daring
Bold colours, high contrast displays and purpose-built design bring to life a non-traditional smartwatch that turns heads at every glance.
Variable based on sun-exposure, Instinct can provide unprecedented battery life to those that explore under the sun.
Military standard 810
Instinct is built to the U.S. military standard 810 for thermal, shock and water resistance (rated to 100 metres).
View how various settings and sensors impact your watch's battery life, so you can make battery-extending changes on the fly.
Use preloaded activity profiles for surfing, swimming, running, biking, hiking, rowing, strength and more.
Wrist-based heart rate
Get heart rate data1 along with alerts if your heart rate stays too high or too low while you're at rest. Gauge how hard your heart is working during activities, even underwater.
For altitude acclimation or sleep monitoring, a Pulse Ox2sensor uses light beams at your wrist to gauge how well your body is absorbing oxygen.
Heart rate variability is used to calculate your stress level score, so you can see if you're having a calm, balanced or stressful day.
Body battery energy monitor
Optimise your body's energy reserves, using heart rate variability, stress, sleep and other data to gauge when you're ready to be active or when you may need to rest.
Access multiple global navigation satellite systems (GPS, GLONASS and Galileo) to track in more challenging environments than GPS alone.
Navigate your next trail with ABC sensors, including an altimeter for elevation data, barometer to monitor weather and three-axis electronic compass.
Take the guesswork out of your return journey by using this feature to navigate the same route back to your starting point.
Receive emails, texts and alerts right on your watch when paired with a compatible device.
Pair for Satellite communication
Pair Instinct with an inReach® device (sold separately; active satellite subscription required) to view and send messages, get weather alerts on your wrist and trigger an SOS to the GEOS 24/7 emergency response team.
Easily see your plans for the day with a dedicated calendar screen.
- Lens material Power Glass™
- Bezel material Fibre-reinforced polymer
- Case material Fibre-reinforced polymer
- Quickfit™ watch band compatible Yes (22 mm)
- Strap material Silicone
- Physical size 45 x 45 x 15.3 mm Fits wrists with a circumference of 132-224 mm
- Display size Custom, two-window design; 0.9" x 0.9" (23 x 23 mm)
- Display resolution 128 x 128 pixels
- Display type Monochrome, sunlight-visible, transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP)
- Weight 53 g
- Water rating 10 atm
- Memory/history 16 mb
- Smartwatch: Up to 24 days/54 days with solar*
- Battery Saver Watch Mode: Up to 56 days/Unlimited with solar*
- GPS: Up to 30 hours/38 hours with solar** Max Battery
- GPS Mode: Up to 70 hours/145 hours with solar**
- Expedition GPS Activity: Up to 28 days/ 68 days with solar
- * Solar charging, assuming all-day wear with 3 hours per day outside in 50,000 lux conditions *
- Gps time sync
- Automatic daylight saving time
- Alarm clock
- Sunrise/sunset times
- Wrist-based heart rate (constant, every second)
- Daily resting heart rate
- Abnormal heart rate alerts Yes (high and low)
- Body battery™ energy monitor
- All-day stress tracking
- Relaxation breathing timer
- Hydration Yes (in garmin connect™)
- Menstrual cycle Yes (in garmin connect™)
Daily smart features
- Garmin elevate™ wrist heart rate monitor
- Barometric altimeter
- Pulse ox blood oxygen saturation monitor
Safety and tracking features
Activity tracking features
- Connectivity Bluetooth®, ant+®
- Smart notifications
- Text response/reject phone call with text (android™ only)
- Battery saver - customizable low power watch
- Controls smartphone music
- Find my phone
- Find my watch
- Virb® remote
- Smartphone compatibility Iphone®, android™
- Pairs with garmin connect™ mobile
Gym & fitness equipment
- Step counter
- Move bar (displays on device after a period of inactivity; walk for a couple of minutes to reset it)
- Auto goal (learns your activity level and assigns a daily step goal)
- Calories burned
- Floors climbed
- Distance traveled
- Intensity minutes
- Move iq™
Training, planning and analysis features
- Available gym activity profiles Strength, cardio and elliptical training, stair stepping, floor climbing, indoor rowing and yoga
- Cardio workouts
- Strength workouts
- Automatic rep counting
- Hr zones
- Hr alerts
- Hr calories
- % hr max
- % hrr
- Auto max hr
- Hr broadcast (broadcasts hr data over ant+™ to paired devices)
- GPS speed and distance
- Customizable data pages
- Customizable activity profiles
- Auto pause®
- Interval training
- Advanced workouts
- Downloadable training plans
- Power modes - customizable in-activity battery settings
- Auto lap®
- Manual lap
- Configurable lap alerts
- Custom alerts
- Audio prompts
- Finish time
- Virtual partner
- Race an activity
- Course guidance
- Touch and/or button lock
- Hot keys
- Auto scroll
- Activity history on watch
- physio HYPERLINK "https://support.garmin.com/en-US/sas/grmn/?contentId=EjPECQK58qA0xzJ5X74vm7"trueup
- Available run profiles Running, Treadmill Running, Indoor Track Running, Trail Running
- Gps-based distance, time and pace
- Cadence (provides real-time number of steps per minute)
- Run workouts
- Foot pod capable
- Available outdoor recreation profiles Hiking, Climbing, Mountain Biking, Skiing, Snowboarding, XC Skiing, Stand Up Paddleboarding, Rowing, Kayaking, Fishing, Hunting, Tactical
- Point-to-point navigation
- Bread crumb trail in real time
- Back to start
- Ultratrac mode
- Elevation profile
- Distance to destination
- Barometric trend indicator with storm alert
- Trail run auto climb
- Vertical speed
- Total ascent/descent
- Future elevation plot
- Compatible with basecamp™
- GPS coordinates
- Sight 'n go
- Area calculation
- Projected waypoint
- Sun and moon information
- Xero™ locations
- Expedition gps activity
- Alerts (triggers alarm when you reach goals including time, distance, heart rate or calories)
- Available cycling profiles Biking, Indoor Biking, Mountain Biking
- Race an activity
- Speed and cadence sensor support (with sensor) Yes (ANT+® and Bluetooth® Smart sensors)
- Available swim profiles Pool swimming, open water swimming
- Open-water swim metrics (distance, pace, stroke count/rate, stroke distance, swim efficiency (swolf), calories)
- Pool swim metrics (lengths, distance, pace, stroke count, swim efficiency (swolf), calories)
- Stroke type detection (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly) (pool swim only)
- Drill logging (pool swim only)
- Basic rest timer (up from 0) (pool swim only)
- "repeat on" rest timer (pool swim only)
- Time and distance alerts
- Pool swim workouts
- Underwater wrist-based heart rate